Improve how you connect with others!
Is it true? Kind? Useful?
Sometimes it’s hard to know how to share ourselves authentically. The Mindful Communication Challenge offers structure to help us improve how we connect with each other. Paying attention to how our words, tone, and actions affect others, and asking ourselves “Is this true? Kind? Useful?” can help us speak from the heart. These tools help us weed out any thoughts and feelings not grounded in reality or love, and helps us dig beneath words to see our common humanity, with our deeper, universal needs.
Since true connection feels heavenly, Mindful Communication Challenge is grounded in symbolism from various Parables found in the New Testament that explore “The kingdom of heaven” as well as descriptions of what a heavenly community looks like from the works by philosopher and theologian Emanuel Swedenborg.
Join us as we support each other on a journey of true self-expression, and help nourish connections with those we love in our lives. Because what could be more beneficial in the long run? We have two world-wide coordinated launches: October 2nd, 2016 and February 5th, 2017. Or you can start your own exploration at any time, with our 5 week email program, with readings, insights, and opportunities for reflection.
Read an overview of each week of the program. Each of the five weeks explores a communication task drawn from the parable:
- Week 1: Am I listening? Listen with an open mind and open heart. Be soft ground.
- Week 2: Is it true? Question your stressful thoughts and find your truth. Sell the junk; buy the pearl.
- Week 3: Is it kind? Identify your feelings and come from love. Keep oil in your lamp.
- Week 4: Is it useful? Identify boundaries and make requests. Maintain your vine-yard.
- Week 5: Am I willing? When you’re ready, come to the feast! All are welcome.
Elements of the program
As with all of the Journey Programs, you can use the materials in a variety of ways:
- Read the materials, using either the workbook, or by subscribing to receive the daily emails.
- Meet in a small group to study, discuss, and learn from each other.
- Run the program for a congregation, using all the elements below.
Daily Bible study is a wonderful and enriching way to ground your spiritual growth work. The workbook provides ideas for daily reading from scripture, reflections from individuals, and concrete ideas for incorporating gratitude into life.
- Order your Mindful Communication Challenge workbook (available in paperback, eBook, or email subscription).
A small group is a gathering of people who commit to meet on a weekly basis to explore their faith and support each other in applying that faith to life. Small groups usually include prayer, a time for checking in, and discussions or related activities.
- Find out about small group opportunities in your area by asking your pastor or contacting the pastor of a local participating congregation.
- Start your own! It’s easy with the step-by-step Mindful Communication Challenge workbook, which includes instructions for small group leaders and participants alike.
Each week, the worship service and Sunday School sessions will focus on one topic of Mindful Communication Challenge program.
- Attend worship on Sunday at one of the participating congregations.
- Help inspire children to make space in their lives for God with lessons from the Youth and Sunday School Program.
- Promote the program in your local area with promotional materials.
Are you a pastor, program director, or small group leader? Visit our New Church Journey leaders page for leader information and resources.
Questions? Contact us by email at [email protected] .
This website contains a wealth of information about the New Church, and a practical, spiritual path to happiness. Read more about the beliefs of the New Church, as well as more about Emanuel Swedenborg.